Information About the BVI


The following measures are to be adhered to in respect of all non-British Virgin Islanders entering the Territory:

Visitors may be granted entry for up to one month at the ports of entry, provided that they possess return (or ongoing) tickets, evidence of adequate means of support and pre-arranged accommodations during their stay. Visitors wishing to stay longer will need to apply for an extension from the Immigration Department in Road Town, Tortola or at the Government Administration Building in Virgin Gorda.
A valid passport is required for entry into the BVI. Visitors from some countries may also require a visa for entry. If in doubt about the necessity of a visa, contact the nearest British Embassy, or the Immigration Dept., BVI Government at Tel: (284) 494-3471 or 468-3701 ext. 2538.

Customs Duties

All imports are subject to varying rates of duty from 5% to 20%. Imports entering the BVI on a temporary basis, will not be subject to duty. Liquor prices in the BVI are so low that-even with duty added-savings can be made by purchasing here.
There is no customs duty on the importation of computers.


Pets are allowed entry into the Territory only after an import permit is issued by the Department of Agriculture. For regulations governing animal importation, contact (well in advance): Dept. of Agriculture, Paraquita Bay, Tortola, British Virgin Islands. Tel: (284)945-2532 or Fax: 495-1269


An International Vaccination Certificate is not mandatory. Peebles Hospital has surgical, x-ray and lab facilities. Private x-ray and lab facilities are offered by B&F Medical Complex, Eureka Medical Clinic and Medical Diagnostic Lab. The Bougainvillea Clinic is a small private surgical clinic. For more information on health services, call the Dept. of Health at (284)468-3701.

Currency and Credit Cards

The currency of the BVI is the US Dollar. Major credit cards are accepted in many-but not all-establishments. There is a 10% stamp duty on all checks and travellers checks. An American Express office is located at Romney Associates in Road Town.


Cable and Wireless (West Indies) Ltd. provides digital national and international telecommunications services. Full IDD (international direct dialing), facsimile and date services are available, including IDAS (International Database Access) and private leased circuits. Inbound 800 numbers accessible from the USA, Canada and the rest of the Caribbean are available, as is Internet access.
Marine communications are offered by Tortola Marine Radio (call on VHF channel 16, talk on 27 or 84) and CCT Boatphone, based in Road Town, who offer cellular telephone services.


There are regular air and sea freight services from the USA, Britain and Europe.

Utility Services


The BVI Electricity Corporation provides 110 volt and 208 volt supply to Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Anegada, Jost Van Dyke and Camanoe.

Water and Sewerage

Water supply is available in Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke and parts of Anegada. Other areas use cisterns. A sewerage system exists in Road Town and environs, Cane Garden Bay and some parts of East End. In other areas private treatment plants or septic tanks are used. For more information contact the Water and Sewerage Dept. at 284-494-3416/3417.


The tax structure in the BVI has been revamped effective January 1st, 2005. There is no company income tax, although companies and employees are subject to a Payroll Tax. For tax rates and other information, please call the Dept. of Inland Revenue, Government of the BVI at 284-468-3701, ext. 2155.
Corporations registered under the IBC Ordinance are exempted from BVI income tax. There is no inheritance tax, death duty, capital gains, capital transfer or estate tax.

Land Tax

Expatriates pay $150 per year on the first acre of land or part thereof; $50 on all remaining acres or part thereof and $50 on parcels of land totaling 1/2 of an acre or less. British Virgin Islanders pay $10 per year on the first acre or part thereof and $3 per acre on all remaining acres or part thereof.

House Tax

House tax is levied on all privately owned buildings. The rate is 1 1/2% of assessed value.

Work Permits

In order to work in the BVI, everyone except Belongers, naturalized citizens and holders of a certificate of residency are required to have a work permit. These are issued to non-islanders only in cases where the position cannot be filled by British Virgin Islanders; the training of local people to fill key positions is encouraged.
For further information regarding Trade License regulations and fees, as well as additional investment opportunities, contact: Trade and Investment Promotion Dept., Chief Minister's Office, Road Town, Tortola, 284-494-5007 Fax: 284-494-5657
Additional Contact: The BVI Chamber of Commerce & Hotel Assoc. Box 376, Road Town, Tortola, BVI. Tel:284-494-3514
The BVI Chamber of Commerce and Hotel Assoc. is a private non-profit organization. The association offers assistance to interested persons desiring information on matters relating to trade and industry and on investment opportunities.

Information About the BVI Links
BVI and Tourism
General Information
 © 2007 Agent Image, Inc. All rights reserved. | Terms | Login Design by Agent Image - Real Estate Web Site Design